Skip to main content

The Journey of Personal Intimacy

There’s something about Mombasa. The thought of an evening watching the sunset color the sky with the dim oranges, as the cool breeze gently whispers across your face and the tides moving in their rhythmic fashion, is always captivating. Such thoughts are what motivate the ardent traveler to fasten their seat belts for the journey ahead. The journey usually starts with very high excitement, sometimes even braving an early morning before the break of dawn and taking a myriad of photographs to quench the anticipation. By the time one is in Mtito Andei or Voi, most passengers are usually asleep, weary-eyed, with their cameras in their bags. The excitement sometimes dies a natural death. Journeys have that effect. Spiritual journeys, nonetheless.

A new believer was sharing with me how she wakes up at 3 AM every morning to spend quiet time with God. We shared how over time, that sense of fervor can wax cold. The justifications we dare give are usually a handful, but in truth, our hands are empty. When we look back at the mountain experiences we have had with God, it can be easy to be nostalgic. But nostalgia should move beyond itself to action.

I was regurgitating (and trying to memorize) Paul’s words in Philippians 2:12-13,

 “Therefore my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”

Knowing his end was near, Paul must have wanted his “beloved” (as we are Christ’s) not to be merely nostalgic. He was giving them a motivation for their present situation that would be necessary for their future destination. It struck me in his mention of the words “own salvation” and the Spirit of God drew me to those words because it was important for me to remember that it is my own salvation, my own soul that I must be the most cautious about, because it is this sense of personal devotion that can result in life-giving service. In our bid to cultivate spiritual intimacy with God, there are many justifications to the contrary: In our techie, knowledge-driven world full of demeaning pleasures and dreadful distractions, we can have a handful of excuses. Other times, it is actually important things that may pose as roadblocks along the journey: relationships with loved ones, participating in a Church ministry, working to put food on the table or even pursuing our dreams. Yet Matthew Henry’s commentary on this verse reminds us that

We must not only work at our salvation by doing something now and then about it; but we must work out our salvation by doing all that is to be done, and persevering to the end. Salvation is the great thing that we should mind and set our hearts upon.

Over my few years of salvation, I have noticed a trend. When I grow cold in my personal devotion to the Lord, I create a pathway for sin, worry and restlessness. Most times when this happens, my sense of spiritual clarity and vision gets clouded and I can get to a place of looking at my relationship with Christ as a set of rules to be ticked. I am reminded in such times that “Faith in Christ is ultimately expressed as obedience to Christ . . . Not in the sense of following rules but of being completely devoted to him” (IVP New Testament Commentary). I am convicted that intimacy with God has to be central to my journey and in order to do this I should:
  •  Maintain a consistent quiet time with God (Ps. 42:1-2). 
  • Feed my spirit and starve my flesh (Romans 8:13-15). 
  • Obey even as much as I sacrifice my time, gifts and glory (2 Jn. 1:6). 
  • Desire to know more of God – I can never have enough of God (Ps. 119; 1 Pet. 2:2).
  • Realize that hunger breeds more hunger for God (Matthew 5:6, Ps. 84:2).
Over the course of my relationship with my fiancée, I have learnt that I need to be intentional in cultivating the love between us. Some seasons no doubt will be busy, seasons of pain or hilltops of happiness, but I have realized that intentionality and commitment go a long way in breeding a Christ-centered, purposeful, fun and joyous sense of intimacy. When feelings are not motivation enough, intentionality and commitment are. The same applies in our journey with God.

Other Resources in relation to cultivating intimacy with God:


A Sermon by John Piper Long for the Pure Milk of the Word 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Excerpt: A Curious Faith.

Hi friends, As some of you may know, I have been working on a book, titled  A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. In it, I share my personal wrestling with the claims of the Christian faith and my stumbling upon grace and how this reorients my life. Having lost my brother last year, I also share on the reality of loss, as well as the dread and the hope that characterize our journeys of grieving. In this book, I have striven to compel others that the family of God is open to all who are willing to trust in Him and that a life of Faith gives meaning through all of life's seasons. Find here an excerpt from the book: ------- A Curious Faith Love, Loss and Living KEVIN MURIITHI      A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living Copyright © 2016 by Kevin Muriithi. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photoco

Part 1: Of what Help is Intellectual Curiosity?

This is a series of blogposts that reflect on some of the topics in the forthcoming book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. --- In the book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living, an underlying theme is intellectual curiosity. The other day we were talking with my fiancée in person when viewing the sample copy, and she noticed the dedication had the words: “to those with intellectually honest questions. . .” And we wondered, does this word even exist? :)  I kind of had to explain myself and my curiosity in placing those words side by side. An article by Psychology Today observes that intellectual curiosity is a trait that we develop as kids and over time, as society gets more stratified we somehow become set in our ways. The article describes an intellectually curious person as “one who has a deep and persistent desire to know.”  On the other hand the article observes the peril relating to this trait. The story of Isaac Newton is given, whereby he placed a wedge betwe

The Agony of Death and the Comfort of God

My day-to-day in the past weeks has been  a series of emotional highs and lows. In this reflection I will focus on the lows : darkness, despair and despond. While reading a blog post from John Piper's Desiring God's website, the post  Worship in the Dark  drew me to the words in Psalm 88. In many ways, this psalm has brought to my heart and mind some of the emotional agony that the loss of my brother has resulted in. The lows of this emotional roller-coaster are different many times but based on the reaffirmed reality of life on earth: That our experiences here on earth will be colored by troubles. This is the same reminder that Jesus gives his disciples in John 16:33 prior to his taking up his greatest obstacle but our greatest pathway to a ransomed life, that is the Cross. The Agony of Loss based on Embodied Reality In such moments as have been the past weeks, these trials have been real. The agony of never seeing one whom you have more than been acquainted with; the