Skip to main content

An Ode to A Father Figure

To one of the men who stood by us in our times of suffering. To a father figure who practiced biblical manhood and exemplified it in his life and family.


At my sister’s looking-forward-to-marriage ceremony, he came to bid her congratulations. I saw him, I saw him there and had a conversation with him. Would my knowing that death was lurking round the corner have changed the topic at hand? Would I have paid more attention to the chatting that was coming from a place of life? Contrasting with the wedding photos, and baby photos on my social media applications, the morning message announcing the passing on of a father-figure, a man who my parents sought counsel from and who saw eye-to-eye with each other, even heart-to-heart was dumbfounding.

Dumbfounding in a manner too familiar to me, yet still with its stinging freshness, was the news spread this morning. Far from the coolness of a cucumber, my heart was at odds empathizing with my friends, who we grew up with and who called him dad. My daily meditations of the psalms came ringing at the back of my mind, reminding me of the membrane too thin to distinguish life and death. The membrane that echoes back the futility of our thoughts of eternity with the suddenness, perhaps unexpectedness, of death. Death knocked again, somewhere near.

It took me back to the last time I saw him, at my sister’s ruracio. Who could have thought that one of the people in this happy gathering would be gone, albeit “too soon?” And now, another family will deal with the anguish of losing a loved one, in the backdrop of a myriad of memories to elicit both sadness and a hopeful longing.

And the hopeful longing, where hence the ‘hope’ in ‘full’?

God is familiar with no ignorance that hides our hearts from him, which is why one who is in between gloom and glory would say: “O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.” (Ps. 38:9) We sometimes live ignorant of this thin line of gloom and glory. Satiating ourselves with the latter, we try to numb ourselves from the former reality of life. Most times though, we forget. Capturing this futility which is all too familiar for Adam’s race, David elsewhere reflects again:

O LORD, make me know my end
And what is the measure of my days;
Let me know how fleeting I am!
Behold, you have made my days a few handbreaths,
And my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!
(Ps. 39:4-5)

Far from a myopic condescending, the writer can see the hope at the end of his tunnel. Rather than ending with a cold pessimism of life, he looks to his source of hope,

“And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you.” (Ps. 39:7)

He is one in whom hope is not belittled; the one who has slayed even the gloom of death and victoriously breathed life, so much so that he has breathed new life to dead souls in the present; he is the one who graciously and powerfully governs all that happens in the timespan of life and the one who loves even beyond the confines of death. (Rom. 8:18, 25; 2 Cor. 15:54-57; Eze. 36:26-28)

With David, as an ode to my father figure, I say,

My hope is in you, O Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Excerpt: A Curious Faith.

Hi friends, As some of you may know, I have been working on a book, titled  A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. In it, I share my personal wrestling with the claims of the Christian faith and my stumbling upon grace and how this reorients my life. Having lost my brother last year, I also share on the reality of loss, as well as the dread and the hope that characterize our journeys of grieving. In this book, I have striven to compel others that the family of God is open to all who are willing to trust in Him and that a life of Faith gives meaning through all of life's seasons. Find here an excerpt from the book: ------- A Curious Faith Love, Loss and Living KEVIN MURIITHI      A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living Copyright © 2016 by Kevin Muriithi. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photoco

Part 1: Of what Help is Intellectual Curiosity?

This is a series of blogposts that reflect on some of the topics in the forthcoming book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. --- In the book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living, an underlying theme is intellectual curiosity. The other day we were talking with my fiancée in person when viewing the sample copy, and she noticed the dedication had the words: “to those with intellectually honest questions. . .” And we wondered, does this word even exist? :)  I kind of had to explain myself and my curiosity in placing those words side by side. An article by Psychology Today observes that intellectual curiosity is a trait that we develop as kids and over time, as society gets more stratified we somehow become set in our ways. The article describes an intellectually curious person as “one who has a deep and persistent desire to know.”  On the other hand the article observes the peril relating to this trait. The story of Isaac Newton is given, whereby he placed a wedge betwe

The Agony of Death and the Comfort of God

My day-to-day in the past weeks has been  a series of emotional highs and lows. In this reflection I will focus on the lows : darkness, despair and despond. While reading a blog post from John Piper's Desiring God's website, the post  Worship in the Dark  drew me to the words in Psalm 88. In many ways, this psalm has brought to my heart and mind some of the emotional agony that the loss of my brother has resulted in. The lows of this emotional roller-coaster are different many times but based on the reaffirmed reality of life on earth: That our experiences here on earth will be colored by troubles. This is the same reminder that Jesus gives his disciples in John 16:33 prior to his taking up his greatest obstacle but our greatest pathway to a ransomed life, that is the Cross. The Agony of Loss based on Embodied Reality In such moments as have been the past weeks, these trials have been real. The agony of never seeing one whom you have more than been acquainted with; the