Skip to main content

Thinking Vocationally: Seeking God in the Marginal Places

Like any "good Christian", when I'm not my characteristically, forgetful self, I am usually reminded about seeking God in my daily life. Being an analytical person, I sometimes  like to carefully think through what I'm doing and how I'm being. I guess we have a weakness to do this analysis most times. Yet, in our forward looking, we forget how God may be leading us in the present or how He may have led us in the past. The following paragraph captures this well:

It’s important that you are seeking God’s will and open to his plans. But there is a danger that you will become so anxious about your vocation, so caught up in a future that does not yet exist, that you will forget about living the life God has already given you. So yes, do put some time and effort into considering your vocation – be open, be generous, be brave. It is a wonderful adventure! But at the same time be grateful for the person you are now, and for the work God has given you to do today. (Fr. Stephen Wang, How to Discover your Vocation Accessed from allenhall.org.uk)

My anxiety about my sense of vocation comes from my deeply multi-disciplinary lens with which I see the world and others. I am currently plying my trade as an engineer, hence the scientific and the analytical method is a day-to-day thing for me. I sometimes extend this perspective to my relationships even, and more specifically, to my walk of Faith. As a theologian, I am constantly theologizing about everything and how this has implications for me, for my friends, the church and the world. My interests with music, arts and culture cause me to think of ways God could be already working in the world, because He does, or the ways He wants to start transforming the world, through His children who are in these spheres. As I put these reflections down, I find that my writing crystallizes my thoughts, and helps me to self-reflect. Integrating all this causes me to think of some far-off, future, perfect balance, where I am living out these different strands of my being in harmonious unity. How wise this is, only time can tell, but I am reminded today that the validity of such harmony is in the today and the now.

My geographical topology has now changed to greeny hills in the background of Lake Victoria, a slightly hotter climate with the consistently evening downpour, thanks to the once skeptically-held, elnino. My palate is now befriending tilapia and ugali. Ugali is such a norm that the waiters in restaurants here ask you what you eat and people usually mention the stew only, the side-plate is already assumed: ugali. So, "what will you eat," a friend is asked. "Wet fry," he answers. "Na wewe?" the waiter continues. Ugali is assumed. I'm learning how these daily moments to share lunches, to troubleshoot power systems, to find a new fellowship of believers provides the context where God wants to lead me. My task is to listen, and in the words of my friend, not to waste the season God has trusted me with.


This is risky business. He finds ways to challenge pre-conceived notions of ourselves and others. Our purpose is questioned and refined. Our habits are transformed as we face new life stations. This is the stuff of life, which happens in the marginal places. They are to get us to that point where we willfully listen and obey.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Excerpt: A Curious Faith.

Hi friends, As some of you may know, I have been working on a book, titled  A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. In it, I share my personal wrestling with the claims of the Christian faith and my stumbling upon grace and how this reorients my life. Having lost my brother last year, I also share on the reality of loss, as well as the dread and the hope that characterize our journeys of grieving. In this book, I have striven to compel others that the family of God is open to all who are willing to trust in Him and that a life of Faith gives meaning through all of life's seasons. Find here an excerpt from the book: ------- A Curious Faith Love, Loss and Living KEVIN MURIITHI      A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living Copyright © 2016 by Kevin Muriithi. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photoco

Part 1: Of what Help is Intellectual Curiosity?

This is a series of blogposts that reflect on some of the topics in the forthcoming book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. --- In the book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living, an underlying theme is intellectual curiosity. The other day we were talking with my fiancée in person when viewing the sample copy, and she noticed the dedication had the words: “to those with intellectually honest questions. . .” And we wondered, does this word even exist? :)  I kind of had to explain myself and my curiosity in placing those words side by side. An article by Psychology Today observes that intellectual curiosity is a trait that we develop as kids and over time, as society gets more stratified we somehow become set in our ways. The article describes an intellectually curious person as “one who has a deep and persistent desire to know.”  On the other hand the article observes the peril relating to this trait. The story of Isaac Newton is given, whereby he placed a wedge betwe

The Agony of Death and the Comfort of God

My day-to-day in the past weeks has been  a series of emotional highs and lows. In this reflection I will focus on the lows : darkness, despair and despond. While reading a blog post from John Piper's Desiring God's website, the post  Worship in the Dark  drew me to the words in Psalm 88. In many ways, this psalm has brought to my heart and mind some of the emotional agony that the loss of my brother has resulted in. The lows of this emotional roller-coaster are different many times but based on the reaffirmed reality of life on earth: That our experiences here on earth will be colored by troubles. This is the same reminder that Jesus gives his disciples in John 16:33 prior to his taking up his greatest obstacle but our greatest pathway to a ransomed life, that is the Cross. The Agony of Loss based on Embodied Reality In such moments as have been the past weeks, these trials have been real. The agony of never seeing one whom you have more than been acquainted with; the