Skip to main content

In Between Earth and Heaven.

Life as a Christian sometimes feels as an eclectic warring between good and evil; between "I have it figured out" and sometimes "I do not know what on earth I'm doing." It plays itself out in the individual's life as sometimes a vocal assault on the imperfections of human beings and sometimes a quiet acceptance of dealing with the same. It imprints itself to the beauty of a life that is counter-cultural and some other times a participation of the cultural delights and pleasures. It is easy in light of this for the Christian to feel as if he is on the straight ticket to hell, while at other times, that Heaven is a reality on earth. And both point towards very crucial existential realities.

These contradictions of the Christian life indicate the reality of the phrases "the kingdom has come" and "the Kingdom will come" It is really a reality that is real. On one hand a life that is consumed by the life that Jesus Christ gives alludes to the fact that indeed Heaven has come to earth; as the emissary of God and simultaneously, as the exact representation of his Being, He is embodied truth. On the other hand, the long-term effects of the imperfections of sin on the human being, the bearer of God's image, remain. And the promise of God is that He is restoring.

In between heaven and earth, we are reminded daily that there is something wrong with the world and not only the world, but something wrong with us. Yet, with Jesus Christ, we are reminded that it doesn't have to be that way. Though we may play rock, paper, scissors to prove which is which, sometimes we cut ourselves. Even in this cutting, the Physician is always ready to  perform surgery - ongoing surgery. It is clear that I cannot depend on my feelings, because my feelings change. But I can depend on the promises of God. The promise that a life of faith can give me hope; not only in the future, but also now. As I humbly face the imperfections in my life, I find that I can not only remorsefully approach God; but joyously too: That God is mending me, and that God has declared an oath towards me, if only I continue in the journey of obedient faith.


It is true that we already possess these promises since we are in Christ; yet we will also possess them in full when we meet him: One has present reality and the other future fulfillment. It is this "now" and "then" that gives me solace in my sojourn. It is this life and promise of God, which is unbreakable even unbendable, that anchors my soul. Through the sometimes heavy currents of the life of the soul, and in other times, the lighter ones, the "now" and "then" promises of God gives my heart strength. Though I may sometimes feel red, the whiteness of the blood of Jesus has and shall consume me whole and present me as a worthy bride to my bridegroom. Till then, in the in between, I shall continue to remain hopeful and filled with the joy of salvation; God knows my infirmities, but He will not leave me there. He is renewing me, in the in between.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Excerpt: A Curious Faith.

Hi friends, As some of you may know, I have been working on a book, titled  A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. In it, I share my personal wrestling with the claims of the Christian faith and my stumbling upon grace and how this reorients my life. Having lost my brother last year, I also share on the reality of loss, as well as the dread and the hope that characterize our journeys of grieving. In this book, I have striven to compel others that the family of God is open to all who are willing to trust in Him and that a life of Faith gives meaning through all of life's seasons. Find here an excerpt from the book: ------- A Curious Faith Love, Loss and Living KEVIN MURIITHI      A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living Copyright © 2016 by Kevin Muriithi. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photoco

Part 1: Of what Help is Intellectual Curiosity?

This is a series of blogposts that reflect on some of the topics in the forthcoming book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. --- In the book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living, an underlying theme is intellectual curiosity. The other day we were talking with my fiancée in person when viewing the sample copy, and she noticed the dedication had the words: “to those with intellectually honest questions. . .” And we wondered, does this word even exist? :)  I kind of had to explain myself and my curiosity in placing those words side by side. An article by Psychology Today observes that intellectual curiosity is a trait that we develop as kids and over time, as society gets more stratified we somehow become set in our ways. The article describes an intellectually curious person as “one who has a deep and persistent desire to know.”  On the other hand the article observes the peril relating to this trait. The story of Isaac Newton is given, whereby he placed a wedge betwe

On the Bible and Jesus: Respones to an Atheist

The following contains the responses to an atheistic view on the Bible and Jesus Christ. It is part of an interview conducted in June 2014 as part of a paper on my responses to an atheistic worldview. I hope that they are of edification value to the body of Christ; for the believers, to realize that the faith we stand on is the most solid foundation and that in Jesus Christ we have all we need for life and godliness; as well as an inheritance that can never spoil or fade (2 Pet. 1:3 ;1 Pet. 1:3-5). If there may be any errors, I pray that you may extend grace. ------------------------------------------------------------------- The Bible Interviewee: A normal book, filled with stories, moral perspectives. Response: The presuppositions in the interviewee’s response are that 1) the Bible is an ordinary book, and 2) the Bible contains stories that are not reliable and only beneficial for morality. In the following sections I shall argue for the uniqueness and the reliability