Skip to main content

Peace in the hustle and bustle of ife

Prayer. Breakfast. Writing a paper. Violin practise. Workout routine. Petite lunch. Violin class. Reading a post on Engineering. (Social media in between). That's the sequence of my events today. Honestly, I wonder if they all make sense, most times. I usually say that God has given me a variety of gifts so it's always been difficult understanding when or how to use them; it seems like most of the time I am developing them, perhaps as a way of being forearmed: "to be forewarned is to be forearmed" the sages say. To be honest, it's something I am learning to do: balance. However, I am reminded of those words in The Book that say, "Why you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes." (James 4:14) How many times we think we have it all figured out until life (God) reminds us of our finite-ness. We say "tomorrow I'll do this plan and the next" only for these plans to be re-routed. Instead, we ought to say if the Lord wills, I'll do this and that . . . The fact that I am not aware of where I shall be tomorrow at a time like this, or how my dispositions will be aligned somehow reminds me that we only know so much; we can only know so much.

Some are of the opinion that all that befalls us is a random cacophony of atoms; misguided collisions that are given to probability. I guess, we share the same opinion that we know little but the above view is an extreme; meaningless, at best. Somehow, we know deep down that there must be more to this life - And that is why we rise up each day to give ourselves to our passions, people, play or purpose. If it was all meaningless, we'd just chill. Even with the negatives, the right photos are always round the corner; at the very least, the negatives are crucial in the photo-making. So for me today, and my agonizing thoughts about what the future holds, my therapy is in these words from The Good Book. Around me the havocs of materialism, hedonism and egotism seem to threaten my peace; our peace, but times like this I choose peace. For peace is always within, for him who searches diligently; with an open heart. Peace is not too far away, He is hidden in humility and in a renunciation of our pride. In Him, "we move and have our being . . ." (Acts 17:27-28).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Excerpt: A Curious Faith.

Hi friends, As some of you may know, I have been working on a book, titled  A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. In it, I share my personal wrestling with the claims of the Christian faith and my stumbling upon grace and how this reorients my life. Having lost my brother last year, I also share on the reality of loss, as well as the dread and the hope that characterize our journeys of grieving. In this book, I have striven to compel others that the family of God is open to all who are willing to trust in Him and that a life of Faith gives meaning through all of life's seasons. Find here an excerpt from the book: ------- A Curious Faith Love, Loss and Living KEVIN MURIITHI      A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living Copyright © 2016 by Kevin Muriithi. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photoco

Part 1: Of what Help is Intellectual Curiosity?

This is a series of blogposts that reflect on some of the topics in the forthcoming book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living. --- In the book A Curious Faith: Love, Loss and Living, an underlying theme is intellectual curiosity. The other day we were talking with my fiancée in person when viewing the sample copy, and she noticed the dedication had the words: “to those with intellectually honest questions. . .” And we wondered, does this word even exist? :)  I kind of had to explain myself and my curiosity in placing those words side by side. An article by Psychology Today observes that intellectual curiosity is a trait that we develop as kids and over time, as society gets more stratified we somehow become set in our ways. The article describes an intellectually curious person as “one who has a deep and persistent desire to know.”  On the other hand the article observes the peril relating to this trait. The story of Isaac Newton is given, whereby he placed a wedge betwe

The Agony of Death and the Comfort of God

My day-to-day in the past weeks has been  a series of emotional highs and lows. In this reflection I will focus on the lows : darkness, despair and despond. While reading a blog post from John Piper's Desiring God's website, the post  Worship in the Dark  drew me to the words in Psalm 88. In many ways, this psalm has brought to my heart and mind some of the emotional agony that the loss of my brother has resulted in. The lows of this emotional roller-coaster are different many times but based on the reaffirmed reality of life on earth: That our experiences here on earth will be colored by troubles. This is the same reminder that Jesus gives his disciples in John 16:33 prior to his taking up his greatest obstacle but our greatest pathway to a ransomed life, that is the Cross. The Agony of Loss based on Embodied Reality In such moments as have been the past weeks, these trials have been real. The agony of never seeing one whom you have more than been acquainted with; the